Westford Veterans Agent, Ryan Cobleigh is available to assist with questions about benefits and/or other needed services or information. To speak with Ryan, please call 978-392-1170 or visit http://westfordma.gov/veterans
Mondays 10am – 1pm and Tuesdays 9am – 11am
Please come in and enjoy a working on your quilting and sewing projects with many other friendly and like-minded crafters. It’s fun to see the different projects that people are working on as well as sharing project tips and enjoying some creative fellowship.
Are you experienced at playing an instrument? Join The Upbeats – play music and have fun! New band members always welcome.
Hal Schreiber, our volunteer tax expert, will be back this year to complete 2021 federal and state income tax returns. Dick Severyn will also be back to assist Hal. This is a free service sponsored by your Senior Center and there are no age or income limits. This year, your Senior Center tax aide site will be sponsored by your Council on Aging instead of AARP.
Please call the Senior Center at 978-692-5523 to add your name and telephone number to the list for having your tax return prepared. Hal has all the federal and state tax forms that are needed to be filled out – you do not need to bring any blank tax forms or instructions with you.
Information Needed for Preparing Your Tax Return:
- Your 2020 federal and state tax return if it was not prepared at the Westford Senior Center.
- Form MA 1099-HC and IRS Form 1095-B. The health insurance information from these forms must be entered on your Massachusetts tax return. Note – Massachusetts did not eliminate the health care tax penalty.
- Form 1095-A(you receive this form if you received the advanced health insurance premium tax credit). The IRS will demand the entire credit be returned if the information from this form is not entered on your federal tax return.
- W-2s, SSA-1099s, 1099s(DIV, INT, B, G, MISC, etc), Schedule K1s, 1098s, etc
- The amount and date of any federal and state estimated tax payments you made for 2021.
- If you pay rent for your main residence, bring the total amount you paid in calendar year 2021(some or all is deductible on your Massachusetts tax return).
- For real property not located in Westford – total the property tax bills that you paid in calendar year 2021(do not include any late payment fees, demand notice fees, or interest charges).
- If your main residence is not located in Westford and if you or your spouse is age 65 or older – total the water/sewer bills that you paid in calendar year 2021(do not include any fees or interest due to late payment).
- Car, boat, personal property excise tax bills – total the bills that you paid in calendar year 2021(do not include any fees or interest due to late payment).
- If you sold any stock or bonds – the date you bought the stock or bond and the amount you paid for them(that information may have been provided as supplemental or additional information that comes with the Form 1099-B that you received).
- If you have any mutual funds – any information provided by the mutual fund concerning how much of the dividends are exempt from state income tax or are from federal or state obligations. If you sold any mutual fund shares – the date and what you paid for the shares (that information may have been provided as supplemental or additional information that comes with the Form 1099-B that you received).
- Medical and Dental expenses – total your co-pays and deductibles for all your drugs (prescription and over-the counter), doctor, dentist, hospital visits, etc. Include hearing aides, eyeglasses, etc. Add up the car mileage to get prescription drugs or go to the doctor, dentist, hospital, etc. List any health insurance premiums, long term care premiums, and Medicare premiums separately since they need to be reported separately (do not add them together) .
- Charitable contributions. – total your cash/check/credit card contributions (do not include any political or election campaign contributions). For property contributions – in general terms (clothing, household goods, furniture, etc), what was contributed; the date of the contribution; estimated fair market value of the property; and the name and address of the charity receiving the property. If you donated a car, it is very important that you bring the paperwork/form you received from the charity. Note – cash/check/credit card charitable contribution, up to $300, can be deducted if you do not itemize your deductions.
DON’T FORGET….Now is the time to think about your winter heating costs. If your household annual gross income is below $40,951 (1 person) or $53,521 (2 people) and you are interested in learning about the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)-fuel assistance program, call Alison at 978-399-2325 or Annette at 978-399-2326. We have applications and can assist you.
FREE PIANO LESSONS: Thursday evenings
Meaghan Lu, a Westford Academy Student who is passionate about music, is volunteering her time on Thursday nights to provide piano lessons.
Call 978-692-5523 to set up a lesson time.
FRIENDLY CALLS: This pandemic has created social challenges for many, leading some to isolation and loneliness. If you would like to hear a friendly voice, Annette can set you up with a volunteer for regular calls. This is a win/win program where volunteers get to help and folks home alone benefit from contact.
Please let me know if you are interested in this program. Annette at 978-399-2326
Join Katie in the library by the fireplace and enjoy some hot cocoa and cookie decorating.
- Where: Cameron Sr Center Library
- When: Thursday Dec 23
- What: To have fun! Drink hot cocoa and decorate cookies!
Call to sign up at 978-692-5523.
Our November book club meeting reviewed and discussed The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty. For our December 21st meeting starting at 2PM, we will have a holiday party and watch the film written by Julian Fellows and based on the book by Laura Moriarty!
Join us at the Cameron for great discussions on the 3rd Tuesday each month.
We are happy to share the opportunity to stroll through the Festival of Trees while enjoying the music of our very own Upbeats Band playing many traditional holiday favorites, starting at 10:30am prior to lunch. You will see many beautifully and creatively decorated Christmas trees, wreaths, and gingerbread houses. Once again, we will enjoy the performance of the talented Westford Academy Honor’s Chorus.
- Holiday menu: Salad, Chicken Parmesan, starch and vegetable, Holiday dessert, tea and coffee.
- Cost: Friends members $12, and Non – Friends members $24.
Limited Seating ~ Reservations are a must by December 7; call 978-692-5523. Transportation will be provided. Please call 978-399-2322 to reserve your van seat. Special thanks to the Friends of the Cameron Senior Center for subsidizing this event.